Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Last One

Well folks, I do believe this will be my last blog post for RSU Italy. Of course, I could be totally wrong. But it is here that I will leave you with my closing thoughts.

Before I went to Italy, people who had been to Europe told me that this trip would change my life and that I would come back a new person. They told me I would probably love it there but that I would also have a new found appreciation for everything I have in America. Most of this is true. I have come back changed. I have come back with a lot more friends than I had when I left. But I don't think I could say I've come back a new person. I learned a lot over there and saw a lot of things I've wanted to see my whole life. I met some wonderful people and learned a lot about the Italian culture.

Oh! I did discover something new about myself: I'm an excellent haggler! There's all sorts of street vendors in Italy and I haggled for me and all my friends! Those awesome red sunglasses...7 euro! The guys originally wanted 20. I tried to go for 5 but he just wouldn't budge.

Anyways, I'm still the same person I was, just more well traveled. And I definitely have a greater appreciation for the following more American things: washing machines and dryer, air conditioning, level roads, my car, whole wheat bread and pasta, my mattress, being on time, and American Men. Italian men made me grateful for American Men. Seriously. I also have a great appreciation for the variety of all sorts of things that we have available to us in America.

That being said, I don't want to make it sound like I didn't have a blast in Italy. Because I did. I absolutely 100% LOVED IT. And I will definitely go back. I would love to see things in Florence and Rome that I didn't get to see this time. And I love the people and the food and everything there is to see there. I'm just glad to be home :)

So, fellow students and other blog readers, if you are considering signing up for the trip for next year, I HIGHLY recommend it. You will have the time of your life. You will see things you might not have otherwise gotten the chance to see. You will make friends that will probably last you a lifetime. And you will spend a lot of money. Seriously...start saving up now. Especially if our economy doesn't start swinging back upwards. It's totally worth it...but start saving now!

If you have any questions, please feel free to post them here or talk to Gary Moeller (head of the RSU art department).

Now I take my leave of you, friends. It's time for me to get back to reality. It was a pleasure being able to share all of this with you. I hope you enjoyed it.

Ciao,

Jennifer Hanley

No comments:

Post a Comment